Sunday, October 27, 2013

Tonight I Write


When I started in my new job, I rediscovered me time and how crucial it was. Wouldn't say it came by accident, it was the need to change my routine that got me there. I used to have coffee every morning with my friends before I moved. The first few weeks were tough, I wasn't used to the silence between me and my cup. As the months passed, I found myself enjoying these rare moments of peace, starting the day with introspection and pep talks to myself. I eventually made good use of the time by going back to writing. I realized I was in a vocabulary slump when I couldn't move forward with ease, when I had to stop every so often to think of the most apt word to describe what I wanted to say. This was unnerving so I decided I had to go back to reading, and spend less time with social media. It requires a lot of conscious effort and discipline, but I'm getting there. (Yes, it is ironic that I am blogging now.)

Last week, my colleague asked me what was one job I really wanted to do, that when I did it, it wouldn't feel like work at all. Took me a while to answer, which made me a bit sad how I couldn't even remember anymore. Travel writing. That's always been the dream. It marries my 2 great loves - what could be better than that? And I realized I'm not getting any younger. So baby steps, yes? Back to hitting the books, revisiting the journals, and starting a project through a new blog. Thoughts?

==
"All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence you know."
- Ernest Hemingway

No comments: